Pachnes - White Mountains
- Experience the breathtaking view and stunning scenery of Pachnes
- Hike to the the second highest summit of Crete
- Enjoy a full panoramic view, revealing the Samaria gorge, Gramvoussa, Gavdos, Psiloritis and Gigilos
- Have a knowledgeable guide assist you through the trail
- Have snacks to fuel up with energy during your walk
Every Stop a Unique Experience
Walking distance: 13 km
Walking duration:5 - 5,5 hours
Pick Up Time:07:00
Include lunch: Yes
We will have an early departure (even really early according to your place of accomodation!) for the ascent of Mount Pachnes, the second highest summit of Crete which culminates at 2452 meters. With your guide, you will reach the heart of the White Mountains range on the western side of the island for a full day in what some people call "the cretan desert". Open spaces, seclusion but also sharing, this day is meant to make you discover the other aspect of Crete, as important as the seas around it.
The hike can be divided in 3 parts :
The first one is the easiest; thanks to our local contacts, we will be driven by 4x4 to the actual start of the walk. Indeed, we need about an hour drive to reach the heart of the mountain range and start our hike. A serious ascent with breathtaking landscapes where vegetation progressively disappear to be replaced by a dry, rocky desert. Some of our participants often feel like being on the Moon !
The second part is the ascent itself to the summit (about 2-2h30 walk) surrounded by other equally impressive summits; since trips to the Moon are not yet available for all of us, this is a good way to experience a "taste" of it ! Reaching the summit of mount Pachnes is amazing and offers fantastic views of the island itself and of the Cretan Sea in the North and of the Libyan Sea in the South.
The third part is the descent (about 2h) to meet again our driver and drive down to the village where we started in the morning.
Last but not least, we'll finish the day in a local taverna to enjoy a well-deserved meal. At this height, the local products, even the simplest ones, are wonderful and very tasty; a great reward for all of us after the effort!
-This walk is open to anybody, but good physical condition is compulsory due to the isolation of the place we will hike in.
-Children from 15 years old are welcome (or below, but this needs to be discussed with the guests)
-To take with you: hiking shoes, hat, sunglasses & suncream, 2lt of water per person and a picnic,
a fleece or jumper for the cold in altitude even in summer.
- Hotel pick up and drop off (Only Rethymno district)
- English or French speaking guide
- Local driver / guide
- Transport by air-conditioned car / mini bus
- Guidance through the hike trail
- Exploring the Cretan Alps
- Traditional snacks on the way
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Lots of adventure and laughter! :)
145 EURO P/P
|CHILDREN (3 - 12)||50%|
|INFANTS (0 - 2)||FREE|