Walk in Rethymno Maroulas
- Explore the mythical landscapes of the village of Maroulas
- explore paths far from popular places
- venture between wild vegetation and vines
- Surrender to the breathtaking view of the bay of Rethymnon in the north,
- Admire the White Mountains to the west and Psiloritis to the south.
- Be assisted by an experienced guide throughout the hike
Every Stop a Unique Experience
Walk in Maroulas
Walking distance: 11 km
Walking duration:4-5 hours
Terrain:Paths, hiking and pastures
Walk in Maroulas
The possibilities for walking and discovering outside of Rethymnon are numerous and at the same time so close! For this hike accompanied by a English-speaking guide, a short trip of 20-30 minutes outside Rethymnon is sufficient to reach the surroundings of the village of Maroulas and find yourself in the middle of nature. The village itself is well known for its ancient Venetian houses (a number of them have been renovated by lovers of old stones!) Indeed, the Italian bourgeoisie often had secondary houses built on the heights of Rethymno; important trade point during the Venetian occupation. Note that it is possible for us, before or after the hike, to discover the village if you feel like it.
The hike itself begins after passing the village when we find ourselves surrounded by nature, far from the crowded places and with breathtaking views of the region; Rethymnon Bay to the north, the White Mountains to the west or Psiloritis to the south. We take the shepherds' paths but also part of the E4, the European hiking trail. During this loop of approximately 11 km, we cross several valleys which will sometimes allow us to have very clear views in height, sometimes to find ourselves in the middle of wild vegetation or vines. From experience, the only crossed living beings are either sheep or goats, or their shepherds because we are on their working land! And who knows? With a little luck, we might be invited by one of them returning from work, to drink a raki or to taste fresh cheese of the day with him ?! One of the magic of hiking and hospitality in Crete ...
If you are looking for tranquility, a change of scenery but also the discovery of the interior of Crete, this is a day for you! Note that the last part of the hike allows us to discover part of the sumptuous valley of Amari, a wild and uncrowded land which was many times the refuge of the Cretan resistance during the tormented history of the island...
At the end of the day, we will find the village of Maroulas and our vehicle.
Please note: Hiking shoes, sun protection (hat, cream, etc.) and water reserve sufficient because no drinking water point provided on the route: minimum 1.5l to 2l per person in depending on the season. Correct physical condition recommended. Accessible to children over 12 years after discussion with our team
- Hotel pick up and drop off (Only Rethymno district)
- English or French speaking guide
- Local driver / guide
- Transport by air-conditioned car / mini bus
- Guidance through the hike trail
- Exploring the village of Maroulas
- Traditional snacks on the way
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Lots of adventure and laughter! :)
|125 EURO P/P|